Friday, August 7, 2009

Homemade Pickles

This morning I made a batch of Homemade Pickles. Karen gave us two big, gorgeous cucumbers from her garden that I didn't know what to do with. I started looking over the recipes at Prudence Pennywise (your can find her button on my sidebar too) and found one! I didn't have 10 cucumbers like her recipe called for so I cut it down to this recipe with a few changes of my own.

Refrigerator Dill Pickles

2 large cucumbers
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
fresh dill
3 cups of water
1 cup white vinegar
1/8 cup kosher salt
1/2 T. sugar
black pepper
black peppercorns

Using my 2 glass jars, I layered cucumbers, onions, black pepper, a few sprigs of fresh dill, a few peppercorns, and garlic. I did about three layers per jar. Or until jar was filled to the top. Now I didn't say how much dill or pepper to use because I think the amount depends on the person. we used a lot, we like strong pickles :)

After layers were complete in a 4 cup glass measuring cup I added 3 cups water, 1 cup white vinegar, salt, and sugar. I heated this to a boil in my microwave. After it comes to a boil take the measuring cup out and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then pour into your jars. The recipe said to refrigerate for a week before serving.
Free Signature Generator


No comments: